Data Scientist/Lead Data Scientist
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative privately funded British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK. Metals such as lithium are the key enablers of the transition to clean energy given their role in power storage batteries, making such metals vital components of the future UK economy. Cornish Lithium has secured extensive mineral rights agreements across more than 500km2 of Cornwall, enabling the company to use modern exploration techniques on a regional basis. Our purpose is to establish a strong, sustainable and environmentally responsible extraction industry in the UK for those minerals which can contribute to the global goal of decarbonisation through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative Data Scientist/Lead Data Scientist to join our Research and Innovation team based in Tremough Innovation Centre, Penryn, TR10 9TA. The Lead Data Scientist role will be evaluated based on experience and desirable skills.
The role will:
- Work closely with the Research Manager to co-develop data products, and analytics that enhance the business (e.g. advanced mapping products, dashboard systems).
- Help to build a data science team that will contribute across the business, but with an initial focus on existing digital assets.
- Identify new areas of data development and oversee the acquisition of these data, particularly relating to subsurface information, including but not limited to, geophysical data.
- To work with the Research Manager to develop and contribute to wider research projects with universities, funding agencies and potential business development opportunities.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of two years’ experience in related field (industry or academia), with a good working knowledge of all aspects of data science and data management. A guide of five years’ experience is given for the Lead Data Scientist role.
- Broad knowledge of statistical techniques with applications to continuous and categorical data types.
- Highly competent in Python with knowledge of related coding languages (e.g. R, PostgreSQL) for developing scientific code and database management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff at all levels of the organization. Responsible for supervising dimensional personnel as required.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative, pro-active.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience of project management specific to data science.
- Ability to project manage data development projects and contribute to wider research goals.
- Knowledge of compositional data analysis.
- Experience of delivering successful research or innovation projects.
- A knowledge of geology, geophysics or geochemistry would be highly desirable.
- MSc in Data Science or related discipline or equivalent experience
- BSc in a relevant science
Salary and Hours
We will be offering a competitive salary for this role dependant on experience. With the following benefits:
- Elevated pension contributions (10% contribution from Cornish Lithium)
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave policies and sick pay
- Opportunity to participate in the Group’s Electric Vehicle and Ride to Work Schemes
- Eyecare voucher scheme
- Wellbeing programme
The role will be based at Tremough Innovation Centre, Penryn, TR10 9TA. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year pro rata, plus UK Bank Holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and coming from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
To express your interest in this position, please send your CV and cover letter to, [email protected].