Cornish Lithium is an innovative British mineral exploration and development company focused on the sustainable production of lithium and other critical minerals in Cornwall, UK.
Our purpose is to operate sustainable and commercially viable mineral extraction with the highest standards of health and safety that will contribute to UK and global carbon reduction targets through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
Cornish Lithium is looking for a Lab Technician to join our lithium in geothermal waters team and provide key analytical support for both our exploration and engineering teams.
We are looking for a person who is energetic and enthusiastic, with the ability to quickly learn new skills and procedures. They will be actively involved in the commissioning the upgraded, on-site analytical facility, and the subsequent day-to-day running of multiple pieces of analytical equipment. This role will report directly to the Head of the Geothermal Plant. Key qualities include:
- Qualification in Earth Sciences, Analytical Chemistry or related discipline OR 3+ years’ experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Attention to detail and aptitude for laboratory work.
- Proven knowledge of sample preparation procedures.
- Understanding of Health and Safety in the context of a chemical laboratory setting.
- IT skills (e.g. Microsoft Office 365 and database software).
- Excellent communication skills to work effectively and explain analytical techniques to other members of the organization.
- Have excellent Time Management skills and be able to manage their own workload
Desirable qualities would include:
- Experience of maintaining, calibrating, operating, and troubleshooting of analytical instruments and standard laboratory equipment.
- Experience of running an ICP-OES/AES and/or ICP-MS instrument.
- Experience of analysing waters for physical parameters (e.g.TSS, TDS, pH, Eh) and anions (e.g. Cl, F, Br)
- Technical understanding of water or mineral processing technologies, or similar.
- Take, prepare and deliver (when required) samples for quantitative analyses.
- Calibrate and operate laboratory based analytical equipment
- Ensure all workplace health and safety protocols are adhered to.
- Manage consumables stock for facility.
- Manage a database of samples and analysis results.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for new equipment and tests.
Salary and Hours
We offer a competitive salary for this role, with the following benefits
- Elevated pension contribution (10% contribution from Cornish Lithium)
- life insurance
- Opportunity to participate in the Group’s Electric Vehicle and Ride to Work Schemes.
The role will be based at the Company’s Geothermal Research Facility at United Downs (TR16 5HY). Working hours are typically 37.5 hours per week but the role holder will be expected to work outside this period on occasions to discharge fully all responsibilities. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year pro rata, plus UK Bank Holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and coming from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].