Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK.
Cornish Lithium is seeking to appoint an experienced and well qualified Land Agent to manage, curate and expand its extensive portfolio of Land and Minerals agreements and licenses across the South West.
We’re looking for someone energetic, with the drive and enthusiasm needed to manage the Company’s existing land and minerals agreements, and also to develop new opportunities. The ideal candidate will have experience of working as a self-motivated land agent in the minerals extraction or renewable energy sectors. This role will report to the Head of Exploration and/or the Executive Committee, and will have day to day responsibility for managing all the company’s land interests. The successful candidate will be able to evidence, through experience and track-record, the following qualities:
- Good technical understanding of land and minerals legal agreements, and the relevant Laws of England.
- Ability to draft and negotiate complex legal agreements, and to liaise with the legal team to efficiently achieve a workable agreement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of working as part of a tight-knit team, but also on their own initiative.
- Good report writing and time management skills.
- Good IT skills, including proficiency in ArcGIS and Microsoft Office 365.
- Ability to manage relationships with existing and new land owners and other key stakeholders
- Ability to risk assess and manage Health and Safety whilst working in the ‘field’.
- Ability to effectively communicate with land owners, stakeholders and the wider public.
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the company, both with the technical and GIS teams, and with Senior Management.
- Interest in minerals extraction, renewable energy and the move to a net zero carbon economy
- Good detailed understanding of UK mineral rights and HMLR processes.
- Good working knowledge of the geography and history of the South West, particularly relating to mining and the land-owning tradition.
- Management of existing land and minerals agreements through a GIS database.
- Maintain and update existing legal agreements.
- Prepare regular detailed reports on status of agreements, and assist in preparing progress reports for individual land/minerals owners.
- Prepare GIS layers identifying land and minerals ownership where information is often complex and incomplete.
- Undertake historical ‘detective work’ to track down severed or lost ownerships.
- Identify and deliver new opportunities with land owners and land owning institutions, and facilitate appropriate agreements.
- Negotiating agreements and licenses with a variety of land owners and institutions, and develop and maintain good working relationships with owners and other stakeholders.
- Drafting of minerals agreements, leases, licenses and NDAs, and developing standardized pro-forma agreements.
- Work with the technical team to identify and procure suitable sites for drilling and other operations, and to engage with Planning Authorities and other stakeholder organisations.
Salary and Hours
The salary for this role is negotiable, depending of experience, and it will be based at the Company’s offices at the University Campus, Penryn, Cornwall. Working hours are typically 37.5 hours per week, but there may be a need for flexible and out of hours working, and extensive travel throughout the south-west and further afield. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year, plus Bank Holidays.
More about the company
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative privately funded British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK. Metals such as lithium are the key enablers of the transition to clean energy given their role in power storage batteries, making such metals vital components of the future UK economy. Cornish Lithium has secured extensive mineral rights agreements across more than 500km2 of Cornwall, enabling the company to use modern exploration techniques on a regional basis.
Our purpose is to establish a strong, sustainable and environmentally responsible extraction industry in the UK for those minerals which can contribute to the global goal of decarbonisation through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.