Legal Counsel/Legal Associate – Part or Full Time
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK.
Our business is centred on people: our staff and our community are very important to us, and we strive to look after both responsibly. We recognise that a diverse and talented workforce is a competitive advantage and that the Company’s success is the result of the quality and skills of its people – so we are committed to supporting and developing them.
As we develop our projects and move towards commercial lithium extraction in the next few years, we envisage that the Company will continue to expand from our current base of nearly 50 employees and existing business interests as we build the UK’s sustainable lithium supply. We are looking for lawyer to join us in Cornwall and play a key role in our growth.
You will be based in Cornwall and serve as an in-house counsel handling the company’s legal needs reporting to the Group’s General Counsel and the Group’s Land Agent and interact with all Company departments. The primary responsibilities of the position will be to assist in the management of the company’s day-to day legal and regulatory compliance. You will need to work well independently and also within a group. You will provide support to the group’s legal function working closely with the group’s current and future mineral and land interests.
Deadline for Applications: 30th June 2022
Requirements and Skills:
• Ideally no less than 4 years PQE+, exceptions to this for a candidate with experience of commercial real estate.
• An understanding of the legislative landscape impacting employment contracts, consultancy contracts (the impact of IR35 on the business and consultants), internship arrangements would be beneficial but not necessary;
• Experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts is beneficial;
• Experience with GDPR would be beneficial but not necessary;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish relationships across the organisation and the ability to handle multiple ongoing projects with minimal supervision.
• Right to work in the UK.
• Assisting the Group General Counsel with a legal look ahead for the business;
• Assisting the Group General Counsel with maintaining/developing group wide staff handbooks and internal procedures and policies to which employees/consultants etc should adhere to;
• Supporting the Group General Counsel and HR function with employment, consultant and internship contracts;
• Reviewing NDAs to be entered into by the company;
• Reviewing T&Cs and supplier contracts;
• Assisting Group General Counsel with creating, maintaining and updating precedent bank of employment, consultancy and internship contracts;
• Assisting Group General Counsel with creating, maintaining and updating precedent bank of general terms and conditions;
• Supporting the Group Land Agent in the conversion of heads of terms into legal documents
• Primary drafting of deeds, terms, licenses, leases and agreements in relation to the Group’s land use strategy;
• Reviewing and critiquing third part license requirements in line with the UK legislative landscape and the Group’s operating ethos / license to operate
• Surface and Mineral property portfolio due diligence and conveyancing;
• Ability to instruct and manage third party specialist Counsel on a wide range of projects. Manage expectation of billable hours and other professional fees;
• Experience with commercial property and mineral law desirable.
Cornish Lithium utilise the services of several specialist legal professionals – this role would suit an allrounder who is able to manage multiple parties in a dynamic and complex environment.
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this job description are indicative and may vary over time. Post holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and extent of the post.
Salary and Hours
The salary for this role is negotiable, depending on experience, and it will be based at the Company’s offices at the Tremough Innovation Centre, University Campus, Penryn, Cornwall. Working hours are typically 37.5 hours per week, but there may be a need for flexible hours and there is the opportunity for the role to be on part-time basis for the right candidate. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday
per year pro rata, plus Bank Holidays.
More about the company
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative privately funded British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK. Metals such as lithium are the key enablers of the transition to clean energy given their role in power storage batteries, making such metals vital components of the future UK economy. Cornish Lithium has secured extensive mineral rights agreements across more than 500km2 of Cornwall, enabling the company to use modern exploration techniques on a regional basis.
Our purpose is to establish a strong, sustainable and environmentally responsible extraction industry in the UK for those minerals which can contribute to the global goal of decarbonisation through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].