Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative British mineral exploration and development company focussed on the responsible extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK.
Cornish Lithium is seeking to appoint a metallurgist with experience in hydrometallurgy and mineral processing. The candidate will focus primarily on the company’s flagship hard rock Lithium project and the processing of its Lithium mica ore. Over the past two years the Company has significantly advanced it’s understanding of processing Lithium mica deposits and the conversion of mica concentrate to a saleable Lithium product. The company is now ready to upscale it’s test program and requires a Metallurgist with experience to manage and oversee all aspects of this work.
We’re looking for someone with drive and enthusiasm to expand on the development work of a mineral processing and hydro-metallurgical flowsheet to maximize the project’s economics and environmental credentials with regards to processing.
The ideal candidate will primarily have a hydro-metallurgical and chemical background and have good experience in leach processes and subsequent selective precipitation and crystallisation techniques. The successful candidate will be able to evidence, through experience and track-record, the following qualities:
- Substantial experience (5-10 years) in hydro-metallurgy and more specifically acid leach processes.
- Good experience in mineral processing (flotation/gravity/magnetic separation).
- Experience on pilot scale plants and / or operational plants.
- Successful track record of maximizing project operational economics through innovative and intelligent process improvements.
- Experience in delivering to deadlines and of taking responsibility and ownership of project delivery.
- Ability to interpret large and complex metallurgical and mineralogical datasets and translating this to process improvements.
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the company, both with the technical teams and with Senior Management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of working as part of a tight-knit team, but also capable of working independently with limited supervision, including experience in prioritising and working under pressure.
- Good report writing, organisational and time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to train junior metallurgical staff.
- Background in Lithium processing, and more specifically Lithium Mica deposits.
- Good engineering background and ability to work on large scale plant and equipment.
- Taking lead on improving and scaling up of the Hydro-Metallurgical flowsheet. Adapting the flowsheet and chemical processes to suit the project feed.
- Taking lead on improving and scaling up of the Mineral Processing flowsheet together with the Geologist’s and Lab contractor.
- Maximizing the process flowsheet efficiency to ensure Lithium grade and recovery is at the forefront and that the process is, economic and environmentally responsible.
- Optimising the process for the sale of potential by-products to reduce waste and maximize material value.
- Managing all metallurgical aspects of the company’s pilot demonstration plant, with a strong focus on process improvement throughout.
- Liaison with the designers of the hydrometallurgical process to optimize the operability and efficiency of the plants.
- Involvement with HAZOP reviews during the design process.
- Assist with the selection and procurement of mineral processing and hydrometallurgical equipment.
- Training and supervision of demonstration plant maintenance and operational staff.
- Aiding and assisting on the engineering aspects of the pilot demonstration plant and any future engineering improvements.
- Managing and working with the metallurgical laboratory contractors and driving metallurgical testwork campaigns.
- Working closely with the Senior Geologist and the Geology / Geo-Metallurgy team to ensure all aspects of the deposit and deposit variability are accounted for in the LOM flowsheet.
Salary and Hours
The salary for this role is negotiable, depending on experience, and it will be based at the Company’s offices at Trelavour, near St Austell, Cornwall. Working hours are typically 37.5 hours per week, but there may be a need for flexible and out of hours working. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year, plus Bank Holidays.
More about the company
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative privately funded British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK. Metals such as lithium are the key enablers of the transition to clean energy given their role in power storage batteries, making such metals vital components of the future UK economy. Cornish Lithium has secured extensive mineral rights agreements across more than 500km2 of Cornwall, enabling the company to use modern exploration techniques on a regional basis.
Our purpose is to establish a strong, sustainable and environmentally responsible extraction industry in the UK for those minerals which can contribute to the global goal of decarbonisation through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about the company, please visit the company website: www.cornishlithium.com