Site Environmental Officer
Cornish Lithium is seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative Site Environmental Officer to join our team at the Trelavour hard rock lithium project, near St Austell in Cornwall. We have recently taken over the lease for a china clay pit near St Dennis and we are working towards our goal of restarting production here and then extracting lithium from the granite rock at our neighbouring TreLith mineral processing site. We now require a full time ESG team presence on site, to oversee many of the activities from an environmental perspective, and are looking for a dynamic Site Environmental Officer to join our team.
The ideal candidate will have a background in environmental science, ecology, geoscience or similar, with a preference for someone who has at least three years of practical experience working on development sites with engineers and other contractors. You should have excellent written and oral communication skills, as you will need to communicate successfully across all levels of the Company as well as with external contractors.
As the Site Environmental Officer your responsibilities will include:
- Managing day to day site environmental activities and coordinating all activities with the wider ESG team.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the environmental management system, and continually improving the impact of the organisation on the environment
- Working with site personnel and contractors, so as to avoid contravention of relevant wildlife law, and so that the works comply with planning consent commitments and the ecology elements of principal contractor documentation. Such works may also aid the discharge of planning conditions.
- You will also pro-actively identify and resolve ecological issues, however minor, that could otherwise give rise to third party criticism of the project
- Working closely with the site team, and ensuring that the workforce is aware of their responsibilities. This helps ensure that work proceeds in accordance with the project plan.
- Implementing and developing site specific environmental practices
- Approved contractor management and performance monitoring
- Monitoring to support site pollution control, water and waste management and environmental health and conservation. Maintaining records of environmental data
- Helping to promote and raise awareness, at all levels of the Trelavour Project, of the impact of emerging environmental issues
- Implementing best practice ethical and social responsibility and address any issues arising
- Supporting stakeholder engagement activities around the project
- Participating in environmental education and training within the company
- Developing and implementing environmental strategies and action plans at the Trelavour Project, to ensure corporate sustainable development, in alignment with the company’s ethos and to ensure compliance with all relevant environmental legislation.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels
- Relevant degree in environmental science, geoscience, ecology or similar
- Practical experience in site environmental management
- Collaborative with the ability to take the initiative when required
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weathers
- Practical and hands-on approach
- Competent use of MS Office
- ArcGIS/GIS skills
- Member of professional body
- Experience conducting environmental sampling
- Basic surveying (with GPS rover)
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary for this role dependant on experience with the following benefits post probation:
- Elevated pension contributions (10% contribution from Cornish Lithium)
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced parental leave policies and sick pay
- Opportunity to participate in the Group’s Electric Vehicle and Ride to Work Scheme
The role will be based at the Company’s TreLith site near St. Dennis, Cornwall. There may be a need for flexible working hours. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year pro rata, plus UK Bank Holidays.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and coming from groups currently underrepresented in the workplace.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected]. All Applicants must hold the ‘Right to Work’ in the UK status.