Trelavour Site / Quarry Manager
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK.
Cornish Lithium is in the process of developing the Trelavour Project hard rock lithium project near the village of St Dennis, Cornwall. The project is situated within an inactive kaolin pit that will be repurposed for lithium production. The project also benefitsfrom a nearby industrial mineral processing site, the Trelith Processing Site, situated around a kilometre from the open pit. The Trelith site will be the eventual site of the Trelavour Processing plant comprising a concentrator and a hydrometallurgical lithium extraction process. Over the next three years the Trelith Processing Site will be used for the construction of a large-scale demonstration plant which will be built to test both the concentration and hydrometallurgical processes.
The Site Manager will be responsible for both sites, including for Health and Safety and be expected to contribute the groups zero harm culture.
• Experience as a quarry manager in the UK, as described in section 8.1 C of The Quarries Regulations 1999.
• Experience of managing industrial sites.
• Capable of manging and setting up site HSE requirements and putting HSE at the forefront of all site activities.
• Experience in working with site teams and supporting sub-contractors.
• Member of the Institute of Quarrying – or working towards Member level.
• NEBOSH Environmental Awareness at Work – or similar.
• Understanding of key health and safety issues and legislation for site operations (NEBOSH qualifications required).
• Geotechnical awareness / knowledge.
• Willingness to develop and maintain skills using a recognised CPD structure e.g. Institute of Quarrying.
• Right to work in the UK and a full driving licence.
• DAPS or equivalent qualification and MPQC – Geotechnical assessment for managers an advantage
• Experience with permit to dig procedures
• Experience with isolation, lock and tag procedures
• Technical understanding of chemicals storage, handling, and mitigation measures (COSHH).
• Good IT skills – experience with Datamine desirable.
• Forklift/Telehandler experience and license, plus Banksman capabilities.
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this job description are indicative and may vary over time. Post holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and extent of the post.
• Manage Site Technician(s) – competencies and scheduling of activities.
• Site HSE, including ensuring site inductions and relevant assessments are carried out.
• Manage Fire Warden and site first aider.
• Participate in Group HSE meetings.
• Gathering, collating and reporting HSE statistics.
• Ensures toolbox talks and JSA’s are carried out and filed. Ensures that RAMS are in place for relevant activities and adhered to (shall carry out frequent site reviews of activities against documentation).
• Oversee all site personnel (including contractors) and ensure that they are competent and able to carry out their activities in a safe manner. Ensure that they have safe access and isolations prior to work commencing. Stop unsafe activities or conditions.
• Oversee all site equipment to ensure that it is safe to operate and within certification. Maintain a log of site equipment and ensure any hire equipment is removed from site once no longer required.
• Inspect all site equipment for condition and ensure it is safe for continued operation – diagnose/troubleshoot and call in outside maintenance/spares if required.
• Accept deliveries of equipment to secure storage, hand over delivery notes to office.
• Manage stocks of spares and consumables.
• Maintain a log of all PPE.
• Ordering of equipment, deliveries and storage.
Salary and Hours
The salary for this role is negotiable, depending on experience, and the candidate will be based at the Company’s Trelith site near St Dennis, Cornwall. Working hours are typically 37.5 hours per week, but there may be a need for flexible hours. Annual leave comprises 25 days’ holiday per year pro rata, plus Bank Holidays.
More about the company
Cornish Lithium is a highly innovative privately funded British mineral exploration company focussed on the sustainable extraction of lithium and other battery metals in the historically significant mining district of Cornwall, UK. Metals such as lithium are the key enablers of the transition to clean energy given their role in power storage batteries, making such metals vital components of the future UK economy. Cornish Lithium has secured extensive mineral rights agreements across more than 500km2 of Cornwall, enabling the company to use modern exploration techniques on a regional basis. Our purpose is to establish a strong, sustainable and environmentally responsible extraction industry in the UK for those minerals which can contribute to the global goal of decarbonisation through clean growth and a transition to a green economy.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].